Recipe of the Week: Healthy Quinoa and Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am definitely ready for spring time. I am over the snow, wind, and being cold. But I guess while it's still here we might as well embrace it with a few more winter comfort food meals! Here is a healthy version of a classic; stuffed peppers! Enjoy!
1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken stock
6 bell peppers(mix different colored peppers if you like)
1 Tbs olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
1/2 a vidalia sweet onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped or pressed
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine quinoa and chicken stock in saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15-17 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed.
3. Meanwhile, cut the tops off of the bell peppers, remove the seeds and set aside in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Chop the tops of the peppers(will add to the meat mixture later).
4. Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large saucepan and saute the garlic.
5. Add the chopped onions and pepper tops and saute 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the ground turkey, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to the pan. Cook until the meat is browned.
7. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed(5 min).
8. Add the cooked quinoa to the meat mixture and stir thoroughly.
9. Fill each pepper with the mixture and cook in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
10. After 25 minutes, top each pepper with cheese. Cook the last 5 minutes(cheese will melt and begin to brown).
11. Serve immediately and enjoy!